Cobian Backup is a multi-threaded program that can be used to schedule and backup your files and directories from their original location to other directories/drives in the same computer or other computer in your network. FTP backup is also supported in both directions (download and upload).
Cobian Backup exists in two different versions: application and service. The program uses very few resources and can be running on the background on your system, checking your backup schedule and executing your backups when necessary. Cobian Backup is not an usual backup application: it only copies your files and folders in original or compressed mode to other destination, creating a security copy as a result. So Cobian Backup can be better described as a "Scheduler for security copies".
Cobian Backup supports several methods of compression and strong encryption.
New on version 8
* The program uses now Unicode functions whenever it can. Using compression and FTP will use ANSI functions, of course because of limitations on those formats or the FTP protocol. If you don't use compression or FTP, the program will always handle your file names as Unicode.
* The program uses now memory mapped files for inter-process communication. All the TCP communication used in older versions has been eliminated.
* A new method of encryption has been added: RSA-Rijndael, which uses a 256-bit Rijndael encryption with a random key that is itself encrypted used a 1024-bit RSA asymmetric key.
* Sensitive settings as passwords are now stored in the ini file using strong encryption
* The program is now a "green" application. All the files are stored in ini files. The only part that used the registry is the service, which, for obvious reasons must be installed using the registry. A green application, of course is not necessarily a good thing, but some people (often for "religious" reasons) seem to think that this is a good thing. Oh, well...
* A feature allows you now you execute individual tasks under different user accounts. The task will then try to impersonate the user and execute the task under that account.
* The 256 characters path limit is now GONE thanks to Unicode. The file and paths names can now be up to 32000 characters long.
* Now you can close programs using also their class names.
* Better SQX error handling.
* Full service control from the Option dialog.
* The mirroring effect that you got while compressing AND overwriting has been thankfully eliminated.
* LOTS of bugs fixed
* A better user interface.
* FTP transfers of larger files (> 2 GB are now supported)