• Автор темы evn
  • Дата начала
evn

evn

LPD: Земля
Реакции
Баллы
Linux Docks - 5 Mac OS X Docks for Ubuntu and Other Linux Distros

Why is the Dock becoming more and more popular? It’s probably got something to do with clever window management, doesn’t it? Well, in my opinion it’s just the eye candy, though I’m sure that people appreciate the psychological trick; every tried to open 2 instances of a program with a Dock?

Now here’s a list of 5 different Docks you can use on Linux. They have different system requirements. Rock out!
5. SimDock

I’ll start off with a little low.end dock. Just enough to get you started. While SimDock isn’t extremely advanced, it offers a full-fledged dock, all in one little .deb package and no window compositing effects required, which means you’ll be able t run it on low-end machines without any problems.
4. Ksmoothdock

Smooth zooming, low requirements. I like SimDock, but many users tell me Ksmoothdock looks and works better with their KDE DE.
3. Kiba Dock

Small, nice, free. What more could you ask for? Kiba-dock was originally a project meant to demo the Akamaru physics engine, but it ended up being a separate project.
2. Engage Dock (for Enlightenment)

Ever wondered how the gOS dudes made a smooth little dock for the gPC? Well, here’s your answer. It’s cool even without the Green theme
I heard it can run without Enlightenment, too. Dreamlinux uses it with XFCE, for instance.
1. Avant Window Navigator

The big guy. This is the Dock with the bad-ass themes, icons and plugins. Everyone who has compositing turned on uses AWN these days. Why? It’s powerful, customizable and pretty. I use it sometimes, although it affects Ubuntu’s loading time. (it’s Compiz’ fault, really). If you got the power, go for it! Also, check out the AWN wiki.
Update:
0.5 Cairo Dock
Another cool dock, which also requires compositing effects.

Posted by Gregon March 24th, 2008
Filed in General Productivity, Linux, Open source

Верх Низ